Green Caravan – La caravane Verte
Goal of the Green Caravan initiative: To foster and promote Green & Inclusive Entrepreneurship in the Arab Countries of the MENA region.
Background: Green & Inclusive Entrepreneurship is a concept where private sector actors implement social and ecological goals by applying commercial strategies. This concept is today particularly interesting for the Arab Countries of the MENA region because it addresses urgent ecological, economical and societal needs: Ecological challenges such as water scarcity and desertification can be addressed by private sector actors using the rich natural resources of the region e.g. solar energy. The economic and social impact of Green & Inclusive Entrepreneurship is huge as it is a participative channel for civil societal movements, it strengthens the development of modern SMEs, and it creates attractive local employment.
Development and implementation of a mobile platform (caravan), where local entrepreneurs learn about green and inclusive business through international best practices. The Green Caravan is based on different modules:
1. International best practice studies published in a catalogue and on a website
2. A touring exposition
3. A series of public lectures on Green & Inclusive Entrepreneurship
4. A PR campaign in newspapers, radio, TV and different social media
5. Call for proposals and business plan competitions
6. Different enterprise development services for promising initiatives (Workshops, Business Consulting, Technical Assistance, practitioner guide etc.)
7. A regular conference for green & inclusive entrepreneurs in the MENA region
We propose to work closely with chambers of commerce. With our train the trainer approach, we can enable the chambers to offer the different enterprise development services on a local level.
Further collaboration with different public and private actors is required. Generally, an involvement of the ministries of environment, energy and commerce is helpful as well as the cooperation with local NGOs which are active in the field of ecology, social inclusion and entrepreneurship development. The involvement of universities and different research actors can be of high value.